I have some pretty awesome neighbors. And then I have some pretty insane ones I stay away from. See on base our houses are conected to another house. So we are very close to each other all the time. Makes it pretty hard when we have noisy days. But it almost makes it a little bit easier to make nice with each other when you live that close together.
So everyday the bus picks Michelle up in front of my house. And everyday when I turn around to walk back inside there is this cute little girl and boy looking out the window at me. If the window is open I go and say hi if I have the time. The other day I was talking to the kids and the mom and noticed the mom really panicked when the little girl smacked the boy on the head. She told her not to do that because she could hurt his owie. I asked her if he had fallen or something and she said (and as calm as could be) no he has a shunt.
I said like a VP shunt? He has Hydrocephalus?! She said yea. I was in shock. Here I am living on this base for almost 4 years and I have only ever met other Hydrocephalus patients in the Neurosurgery clinic and I have one as a neighbor now. He is two, he walks, he talks, he plays and his is as adorable as can be. Of course me and the parents have hit it off wonderfully. They want to know everything about Michelle and I want to know everything about them. He has never had a revision and Michelle has had over 20. Sort of a bummer for me and slightly scary for them.
I had to share that though. It's nice to know your not alone. And this condition is a scary one. On a good note Michelle has started to return to her baseline. Not yet all the way there but she is getting there. And we have an appointment next month to see her Neurologist!
Thanks Google...
10 years ago