Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Day of surgery.

So I am going to do my best with keeping everyone updated. It's hard for me to find down time to do this but here I go.

As I am typing this Michelle is snoring in the background. Such a sweet snore it is. Seriously as far as snores go hers I love.

We went from the PICU where Michelle has been since Saturday night to the operating room this morning. We met with everyone except the plastic surgeon. I honestly think we just missed him. The plan was to expand her skull and give her brain a little more room. Room we now know was very much needed. I got to walk her back and see her to sleep and then I met up with daddy and hung out waiting for the word from the Neurosurgeon that his portion was over.

Honestly it didn't seem to take that long before our pager went off and we were taken back to talk with him. He said his portion went very well and that she was doing very well. We asked all the "normal" questions and then went back out to wait some more.

About two hours maybe less passed and the plastic surgeon came out to get us. He went over what he did and that he was able to create the much needed space and that it appeared Michelle's sutures (think of the soft spot that everyone tells you they don't want to close too soon, well you have more then one.) in the front of her head had fused early but that she had plenty of room for her brain now. I let him know that a few years back we did do the cranial band for her because her therapist was concerned over the shape that her skull had taken on back then.

After that it was off to go wait some more. We hurried on up back to the PICU to go drop off a couple of stuffed friends of hers that I knew she would want if she were to wake up. After that we were lurkers in the hall just hanging around waiting to see her. It didn't take long for them to come down the hall with her. A quick kiss and they took her back to her room. We went and ate lunch and came back up to wait for her to wake up a bit.

Let me tell you those first words out of her mouth were music to my ears. I honestly didn't expect her to wake up tonight. I figured that it would at least be until tomorrow. She's been in and out for a few hours. She just had about a 15 minute window of alertness to let us know she was thirsty and she's been back to sleep ever since.

These are the things she has now let me know she doesn't like:

* Her eyes are almost swollen shut

* The face masks we got her are very cold

* She wants her super mummy wrapped head unwrapped and that it itches

* That she can't go home yet.

A little list of things in my book that can be fixed. Thank you everyone who has made it a point to call, text and follow along! The doctors are very happy with how she is progressing this evening and I just hope she is able to keep it up and her pain stays down!

I will update as I can!