Michelle had a good night. And by good night I mean two doses of pain meds and some tylenol along with some broth and Jello and about 5 1/2 hours of alertness. More then any of us anticipated.
Today the plan is to get her drinking more at least. Waking more. It seems like when we wake her up she is MAD. Not in a way because she is hurting but because her eyes are swollen shut now. There is a lot of swelling all of which we were told to expect. They want to take some of the lines out of her today. She's got two IV's in each hand, a PICC line in her arm and a femoral central line in her pelvic area which makes diaper changes a little difficult and an arterial line in her left hand. Oh and her drain that is helping relieve any fluid pressure changes in her head which isn't putting out much at all which I hope is a good thing.
Im scared to touch her too much. It's kinda like when she was in the NICU and they told me I could touch her that I wouldn't hurt her but I was scared to death that they were wrong and my touch would hurt her. I mean come on she's gotta be hurting right?!
They said we should be able to take the arterial line out maybe today and give her some meds to help more with the swelling since she hasn't been out of bed since Saturday evening. Her whole body is kinda swollen but with her face being the worst. The bruising has started. Daddy was teasing her about not boxing without gloves or something last night but she wasn't letting him get too far with that.
Hopefully we can get a real bed for her today and get moved downstairs to the medical unit versus being in the PICU (which is ridiculously loud considering its intensive care and these kids really need some rest). But if not I am going to push for them to get her a bigger bed. She is more comfortable that way and then we can cuddle her the way she wants to.
Her Neurosurgeons have come by already. All of them saying the same thing, that we will assess her headaches when she's more alert and isn't in too much pain.
Neurology isn't saying much just making sure everything is kinda doing what it's supposed to be doing or was doing before the surgery and before she declined so quickly neuro wise.
The PICU team is on board with all of that so I guess we are too. I just wish some of these meds could get stopped. But that will come with time. It's time since she had her meds that I wake her up and try and get her to drink something. Maybe we can keep her awake for a while so we can get a good neuro exam so some of the doctors will breathe a little bit.
Thanks Google...
10 years ago