Today for example I took Michelle to therapy like I do every Thursday. The only difference today is I had ALL of my kids plus an extra munchkin. Boy the stares that got me. I got asked by about 5 different people if the 5 in the waiting room were all mine. I kindly replied that one wasn't but yes the other 4 were and that my other daughter was in the back receiving her physical therapy. The one and only response I got from EVERYONE was " You have 5 kids?!" Why yes, yes I do and I am very happy and very blessed.
Seriously?? The shock factor for myself that I have 5 have pretty much burned off now. But I guess "people" need a little more time to learn not to judge....
Why do people feel the need to put their foot in their mouth? Why is it such a BIG deal that I have a large family? You know 20 years ago it wasn't so uncommon to see LARGE families. I have 3 brothers. My husband has 6 brothers and 6 sisters (chew on that one for a while). I LOVE my large family. I don't see someone with a large family as such a bad thing. Maybe it is because I am such a "young" mom. I sure don't see myself as young, heck I am 26.
Maybe it's the economy that is driving everyone to comment. It seems like once you get past 3 kids everyone feels the need to say dumb and random things like "how do you do it", "don' you know what causes that?", "huh was the heat out in your house?" <--- this one has a funny story I will get to in a minute, my personal FAVORITE "must all be deployment babies". You should hear the ones I get once someone finds out about Michelle. One day I actually looked at a lady and said "How does your foot taste?"
So back to my deployment one.. TODAY of all days I was standing out front of my house watching the mail man put the mail in the boxes impatiently waiting for him to finish (I was waiting on a package for the girls) and one of my neighbors was outside. He had the sweetest little boy and I was making those funny faces we all make when we see a smiling baby. He asked how many kids I had and I said 5. His comment back was are they all deployment babies? I said no only one. He looked shocked. I with as straight of a face as I could (his baby was just too cute) said the rest were just REALLY cold nights. The mailman thought I was hilarious (so did the baby).
But really can someone please tell me WHY one must comment on the amount of children someone else chooses to have. I mean if you do not have to raise them, pay for their clothes, shoes, food, college why even butt in in the first place. Leave us large families alone. And just remember one day that could be YOU!
Just sayin'